Week one of weed harvesting on Devils Lake has come to a close an we removed an astounding 12 tons of weeds from the lake. We got five pretty good days of harvesting in this week but midday on Friday the ECO Harvester suffered a major breakdown. One of the large steel rollers for the main belt drive failed. You can see from the image something's very wrong. Unfortunately the repair couldn’t be done in Lincoln City so the machine is headed back to its home port in Coos Bay.
Overall the harvesting cut a tremendous amount of material out of the lake, as measured in tons! Western Shoreline Restoration will be back on August 15th for two more weeks of harvesting on Devil's Lake. Overall we learned a tremendous amount of information about what to expect in a harvesting project. More than anything we learned just how dense the Elodea is in some areas especially the West end of the lake. We are learning about what to expect in terms of daily progress. We’re learning about what's required in terms of staging drop boxes and excavators. We learned that no matter how much we take out the lake just keeps on giving.
Showing 5 reactions
Sign in with